There are various employment visa options for people who wish to be employed in the U.S. H-1B is the most common and popular employment-based visa in The United States. In 2005 an efficient employment-based E-3 visa was brought into force explicitly for the Australian Nationals. Just like the H-1B visa, an E-3 visa permits U.S employers to hire Australian nationals as Specialty workers in certain professional occupations and employ them in the United States temporarily.
Eligibility Criteria for E-3 Visa:
- Must be an Australian National
- Must have a legitimate job offer by a U.S. based company
- The Australian national must be paid a salary that is under the Department of Labor (DOL)
- Must qualify under a specialty occupation
- Must possess the required academic qualifications
- Assure that the stay in the United States is temporary
Advantages of E-3 Visa:
- The E-3 visa may be renewed indefinitely in two-year increments. (H-1B visas have a six-year limit unless the employer has initiated the green card process)
- Unlike H-1B visas, which require the USCIS to process, E-3 visa applicants may apply directly at the consulate avoiding lengthy delays.
- Spouses of E-3 visa holder is also eligible to work in the U.S.
- The process is much cheaper than the H-1B visa
- E-3 visa holders can pursue a green card while on an E-3 visa
- Can one obtain an E-3 Visa without a Degree?
Yes. One would need 12+ years of industry-related experience
- Can an E-3 visa holder apply for a Green card?
Yes. Even though it is true that E-3 is not a dual intent visa, E-3 visa holders can apply for a green card in two ways: 1. In the U.S. by filing for adjustment of status. 2. From abroad with an immigrant visa.
- How long does it take to acquire E-3 Visa?
Once the employer files the Foreign Labor Application, it takes 5-10 days to get certified.
- Can an E-3 visa holder change jobs?
Yes. But the new employer will have to file a new LCA immediately.
- Is Premium Processing available for E-3?
- What is the filing fee for an E-3 visa?
There is no filing fee for an E-3 visa. However, the regular visa application fee, which is $270, must be paid
- Is there a yearly limit to the E-3 visas?
Yes. Ten thousand five hundred per year and dependents are not counted against the numeric limitation.