There are various employment visa options for people who wish to be employed in the U.S and for those who are looking to employ immigrants. H-1B visa is the most utilized employment visa in the U.S. O-visa is also an employment-based visa that is often overlooked but serves a similar purpose. Those who possess extraordinary abilities with a job offer from a U.S. employer may qualify for a O-visa.
An O-1Visa is a temporary work visa granted by the USCIS to such people who possess extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics (or)to those who demonstrate a record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.
An O-1 visa is a dual intent visa which means that one neither needs to show the existence of a foreign home nor show the intent of returning back to the home country.
There are three types of O visas:
- O-1A: individuals with an extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics
- O-1B: individuals with an extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in a motion picture or television industry.
- O-2: individuals who will accompany an O-1 (Generally Assistants)
- O-3: individuals who are the spouse or children of O-1s and O-2s
Qualifications to obtain a O-1 Visa:
The qualifications include but does not limit to the following:
- A well-recognized international award such as a Nobel Prize or Olympic medal
- A less well-known award that is nationally or internationally recognized
- A membership in an exclusive organization related to your field
- Mentions of your published material in trade publications
- Scholarly articles that you’ve written for your field
- Other significant contributions to your field
- Commanding a large salary
- Sitting as a judge or on a panel of judges for your peers
- Holding critical positions for esteemed organizations in your field
Attorneys analyze the list of achievements and help the clients’ case accordingly.
Advantages of O Visas:
- O- Visas can be issued fairly quickly
- Having a O-1 visa paves a path to obtaining a Green card under EB-1 Category, which is faster than Eb-2 & EB-3 visas.
- O-visa is initially granted for a period of up to 3 years. But it may be extended any number of times annually.
- Dependents of O-1 holder may be able to stay in the U.S along with the O-1 visa holder.
- O-visa is advantageous than H-1B in a few ways:
- There is no annual limit to the number of O-visas that can be approved by the USCIS.
- There is no educational or professional degree requirement
- No Prevailing Wage requirement exists
- One can be sponsored a O-visa on a Contractual basis
- Dependents of O-1 holder may stay in the U.S along with the O-1 visa holder.
- Dependents or Children may attend school in the U.S.
Leave a Reply